5 Things I continue to wonder over about Huancavelica generally
1. The garbage truck comes by on Thursdays, but instead of gruff garbage men, screeching brakes and rumbling engines, we are asked for our garbage with little children´s songs.... seriously, the garbage truck plays a bunch of little songs like "Happy Birthday" and "Frere Jacques"---- what a contrast! I love it!
2. As there is n election coming up, tons of houses and buildings are covered in political paintings. I thought that whoever lived in whatever house felt passionately about the party smeared all over their walls. However, it turns out that political parties can paint on whatever house they like, and there is nothing the owners can do (but paint over it, if they want).
3. With my sad sea-level lungs, i struggle to make it up 5 stairs without panting. However, there is a guy in town who is CONSTANTLY running-- training for a marathon i imagine. But i am amazed. We see him in town, in the country, everywhere, running. Stunning. I want to sit him down and find out how long he has been doing this, and if he ever wins the marathons he must inevitably enter.
4. People will readily say yes to anything you ask, but it is a rare case when they actually mean it. I continue to work on deciphering this code of "yes actually means not really, sorry"
5. I don't love coffee, but i have yet to find anywhere where I can get a cup. Instead, you order a glass of hot water or milk, and add in a liquid (found on many a table in cafe-type places) that is apparently a coffee extract, but looks like soya sauce.